So after an awful day at work (funny how one person with a serious attitude can ruin someone's day) I found out from my mom that Charlie, my water ski coach from Beaumont, died last week. I dug a little more and found out he died of a brain tumor. We had not been in touch since sometime when I was in college. I had always figured I'd invite him to my wedding and we could be in touch then. I guess this is a nice wake up call that I shouldn't put off things like getting in touch with someone like I did - especially assuming I'd see whoever at my wedding. For all I know I'm never going to have a wedding, so it was stupid of me to think that way.
I am so sad right now - so sad for his family's loss, so sad that I had not seen him in so long and I did not get to see goodbye. Sad that I will never see him again. People need to stop dying. Seriously. I know its inevitable, but if I could just go for even a little while without someone dying, that would be nice. I heard of four grandparents dying the week my grandmother died. Now Charlie. He was only 70 - and that is way too young. I spent every afternoon for 2.5 years in high school going out to his lake and skiing with him and another skier, Kenny V. When I came in from college in the summers and on break I'd go ski with them as well. I always joked that I spent all my time with my 30 and 60 yr old man friends. Kenny is a devout Christian and created Shields of Strength and Charlie was a kind-hearted grandpa by the time I met him. My mom said she never felt so bad about me spending so much time with them because they were such good influences. Charlie was there with a big hug and an understanding heart on more than one occasion at a tournament when I didn't ski well.
I copied his obituary below, as he wrote it himself and needs to be shared. At the end of the day next Sunday, I plan to sit back and say "this one's for you Charlie." I will be running with both Grandmother and Charlie very present in my heart.
Charles A. Fontenot
I am so sad right now - so sad for his family's loss, so sad that I had not seen him in so long and I did not get to see goodbye. Sad that I will never see him again. People need to stop dying. Seriously. I know its inevitable, but if I could just go for even a little while without someone dying, that would be nice. I heard of four grandparents dying the week my grandmother died. Now Charlie. He was only 70 - and that is way too young. I spent every afternoon for 2.5 years in high school going out to his lake and skiing with him and another skier, Kenny V. When I came in from college in the summers and on break I'd go ski with them as well. I always joked that I spent all my time with my 30 and 60 yr old man friends. Kenny is a devout Christian and created Shields of Strength and Charlie was a kind-hearted grandpa by the time I met him. My mom said she never felt so bad about me spending so much time with them because they were such good influences. Charlie was there with a big hug and an understanding heart on more than one occasion at a tournament when I didn't ski well.
I copied his obituary below, as he wrote it himself and needs to be shared. At the end of the day next Sunday, I plan to sit back and say "this one's for you Charlie." I will be running with both Grandmother and Charlie very present in my heart.
Charles A. Fontenot
Hello Family and Friends, If you are reading this letter then I am now with our Lord in heaven. I was very blessed to have lived 70 years on this Earth doing exactly what I enjoyed doing. That meant spending time with family and friends, waterskiing, playing golf and watching sports events. My wife, Althea, knew me from the time I was 19 years old, and we raised 2 beautiful daughters together, Terri and Keeli. Terri married Mark Wilmoth and they had my beautiful granddaughter, Tara. Keeli married Mark Jernigan and they had my 2 grandsons, Tate and Luke. Throughout my life I crossed paths with amazing people who became friends and we created great memories together. At the age of 20, I began waterskiing and soon started waterskiing competitively. Through my love for that sport, my family and I developed lifelong friendships. I loved waterskiing, driving the boat and teaching others how to ski, especially my daughters and grandchildren. I would drive the boat all day long and pull kids. This summer I was blessed to be with Keeli and Mark on their boathouse and teach Tate and Luke and their friends how to ski. My grandkids called me "Pop" and by the end of the summer all the kids at the boathouse called me "Pop" too! I was passionate about supporting my children and grandchildren. I loved swimming with them, watching them play sports or simply playing board games or watching movies with them. I was also very blessed in my retirement years to be surrounded with friends who provided great support and friendship to me. I was so happy in our retirement community, playing golf and attending social functions surrounded by many friends. It was not my wish to have a memorial service. Instead, I ask each of you to pick a special day, dedicate it to me and do what you enjoy the most! You all know for me that was waterskiing or driving the boat, being outdoors and enjoying the sun, or playing golf. I am already teeing one off in heaven! At the end of that day, I hope you will say, "This one's for you, Charlie!" God Bless You All!
Charlie Charles Avie Fontenot of Mesa, Arizona, died peacefully on Monday January 17, 2011. He is survived by his wife, Althea Louise, his daughters and son-in-laws, Terri Ann and Richard Mark Wilmoth, and Keeli Lou and Jay Mark Jernigan. Charles has 3 grandchildren, Tara Ashton Wilmoth (age 14), Tate Mark Jernigan (age 10) and Charles Luke Jernigan (age 8). He is also survived by his sisters, Carol Stephenson and Darlene Moore, his brothers J.W. and Donald Desormeaux, and many loving nieces and nephews.

Comments